Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hindsight is 20/20

Well folks, my perfect parenting streak has come to an end. (You can't see it but I'm rolling my eyes. :)...

For the past few months (maybe even longer), Emily has been complaining that her right foot (and/or left) hurts, especially in the morning. By the time she'd get home from school, she'd be fine, until it was time for bed. As she tends to have a very low pain tolerance, I honestly didn't take it or her very seriously. However, to appease her, I'd occasionally give her a bag of frozen peas to put on it or some Ibuprofen.

Finally today, I decided to take her to the doctor's office, thinking that it was probably "growing pains" related. But wouldn't you know it...she does have something wrong with her feet & it even has an impressive name; Plantar Fasciitis.

So, orthotics have been prescribed & she's going to see a specialist to do a "gait analysis" along with other things. From there, we might need to do some physical therapy.

Boy do I feel like a heel (yes, pun intended)

2 comments:

Ellen said...

I catch myself saying things like "buck up, little camper", and then I cringe. I am my mother!

Missing/Ignoring your kids hurts and injuries is one of the worst parts of parenting. That's why I'm in the regular habit of kicking myself in the pants or opening my mouth to insert my own foot.

I hope Emily makes a speedy recovery. I'm sure lots of mother-love will help her on the way.

Unknown said...

Hi! I found your blog from Ellen's. My son was diagnosed with the same thing a year ago. He has his inserts, did therapy and is doing great. When his feet still hurt, He gets a little foot massage to stretch them out again!