Saturday, July 5, 2008

The simple pleasures of life

I love the fourth of July & I think it's due in big part to the town I grew up in. As small as it is, they pack the day full of activities for all ages. We would start the day off with a Sunrise Service at the bay (because it was way to cold at Easter). Then there was the parade. Now mind you , it was a very small town (think Northern Exposure), so they made their way around the town block at least two, if not three times. Then of course was the fireman water barrel challenge & a town softball game. At night was the fireworks show over the harbor...quite impressive for a town its size! Some years there were bonfires on the beach, picnics with friends, & a couple of times it even snowed. But irregardless of what we did, I came to love that holiday & all the memories it held.

I hope our kids can look back on this holiday with as much pleasure as I do. Yesterday, we visited with my Grandpa Miller (89 & still kickin'!) & with my cousin's, Mark, family visiting from New York. Then we spent the evening with our friends, The Lengachers (Len-a-gers). The highlight of the evening for the kids was the bike parade up & down the country road they live on. 7 kids, 7 kid-decorated bikes, 1 excited group of kids! That was followed closely by the late evening softball game, watching Wooster's firework show from their front yard & camping out in their back yard. What a great time!

Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books


Tonight we met my extended family for a hot dog roast & swimming at Mapledale Lake, the same lake my cousins & I spent many hours at when we'd come to visit. What fun memories it holds for me.

These are the times I'd like our kids to think back on & smile. Not very extravagant, in fact rather simple. Yet so enjoyable.

No comments: