
The other night, the kids watched the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special with Dave. Now, Colin has a new favorite line, "Where's the Turkey, Chuck!",taken from Peppermint Patty's tirade against poor Charlie Brown:
"What kind of Thanksgiving dinner is this? Where's the turkey, Chuck? Don't you know anything about Thanksgiving dinners? Where's the mashed potatoes? Where's the cranberry sauce? Where's the pumpkin pie?"
Mom & Dad are in Michigan with my siblings, we leave tomorrow for the Daniels celebration, so it was just us. What to have on Thanksgiving Day? I was tempted to do just a normal dinner, but so as not to disappoint, I did it...I actually cooked a real, honest to goodness, Peppermint Patty approved Thanksgiving dinner. (With some help from the Butterball website...granted)
"What kind of Thanksgiving dinner is this? Where's the turkey, Chuck? Don't you know anything about Thanksgiving dinners? Where's the mashed potatoes? Where's the cranberry sauce? Where's the pumpkin pie?"
Mom & Dad are in Michigan with my siblings, we leave tomorrow for the Daniels celebration, so it was just us. What to have on Thanksgiving Day? I was tempted to do just a normal dinner, but so as not to disappoint, I did it...I actually cooked a real, honest to goodness, Peppermint Patty approved Thanksgiving dinner. (With some help from the Butterball website...granted)
Of course, I know that's not what Thanksgiving is all about, & so did Charles Schulz:Linus van Pelt: In the year 1621, the Pilgrims held their first Thanksgiving feast. They invited the great Indian chief Massasoit, who brought ninety of his brave Indians and a great abundance of food. Governor William Bradford and Captain Miles Standish were honored guests. Elder William Brewster, who was a minister, said a prayer that went something like this: 'We thank God for our homes and our food and our safety in a new land. We thank God for the opportunity to create a new world for freedom and justice."
Peppermint Patty: Amen.
Marcie: You heard what Linus was saying out there. Those early Pilgrims were thankful for what had happened to them, and we should be thankful, too. We should just be thankful for being together. I think that's what they mean by 'Thanksgiving,' Charlie Brown.
Thank you Mr Schulz for reminding us all what the meaning of this holiday really is. Tonight, we spent the evening with my Grandpa. It was fun to eat together & listen to his stories. As he jokingly says, "At my age, I don't dare buy green bananas." I'm truly thankful for this day that we had together...with Dave & the kids & with my Grandpa.
No comments:
Post a Comment