Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Joy of Giving


Yesterday was the Orrville Public Library's Summer Reading Programs' Opening Day. As in years past, it was a crazy, fun, busy morning. There were all kinds of activities, food, & fun for the kids. Right before I left for work, Emily asked if she could go to work with me..."Sure". So off we went.

When we got there, she said, "Do you think it would be o.k. if I helped?" Are you kidding me? That's like music to a mother's ears. :)

So, she did...for 2 1/2 hrs. She faithfully passed out balloons pretty much the whole time. The librarians were so grateful. Made my heart swell. But what happened next really touched me...

"Mom, could I get some popcorn & cotton candy now?" Sure. Later, my coworker & friend. Sherri, told me that Emily went up to each of the workers & asked, in her quiet voice, if she could have enough (balloons, cotton candy & popcorn) for all of her brothers & sisters.

Today, I saw the joy of giving hard at work in my firstborn...twice. What a great thing to see growing within your child!

No comments: