Saturday, September 13, 2008

A healthy respect

I grew up on the southern shores of Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.  Very quickly, you learn to respect large bodies of water.  They can be calm & peaceful one minute, angry & vengeful the next.  The lesson I learned while living there:  you don't mess around with strong storms!

So, I guess I don't understand people who, even after being told to evacuate, continue to stay in their homes.  I understand the whole concept of getting burned one too many time after "crying wolf", but when a storm is barrelling at you the size of your entire state, doesn't it just make sense to LEAVE? 

Then of course is the issue of the meteorologists & media that drive into the storm to get a better view.  Shouldn't they of all people know better?

So, to the rescue people that will no doubt be called to risk their lives to save others that did not have a healthy respect for the storm, I thank you!

No comments: