Monday, December 22, 2008

Learning to play the game


Back story: This morning Colin inform me that Tessa had just hit him in the face. Being the wise & experienced mom that I am (rolling of the eyes), I have learned that most things of this nature don't happen unprovoked. So my question to him, "What were you doing right before she hit you?"

"She was trying to turn off the TV, so I sat in front of her to block it. I did not touch her. I just sat there. Then she slapped me." Emily collaborated his story.

Alright, so now that I know I didn't need to deal with him, I have Tessa come up. After she sat on her bed for 15 minutes, I asked her why she had to sit (Because after all, when you're three, it doesn't take that long to forget.) "That's because I swaapped Cawie on the face." Ok, she remembered. So then I asked if she was ready to say she was sorry to Colin & ask him for forgiveness. Yes she was. And that was the end of that. Until...

(45 minutes later)

Tessa: Mommy, Cawie just swaaped me.

Colin: I DID NOT (from the living room)!

Me: Tessa, are you sure he just hit you?

Tessa: Weeeelll, he hit me on the back porch.

Me: Tessa, it's very cold outside (-10) are you sure you were outside?

Tessa: We were spwashin' in the pool & he hit me.

Me: Really? Because there's no pool put there.

Tessa: Um, I think it will be tomorrow.

So, evidently, my sweet, innocent little 3 year old girl has learned to play the lying game. Well, yet another one of those fun things to tackle! Oh how I'm looking forward to the next 15 years! :)

No comments: