Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dreams Dashed (or All that Glitters is not Gold!)

Have you ever built something up in your imagination to such an extent that reality could never come even close to competing with it? Colin learned that the hard way this week at school. A little background information...

Last week was Red Ribbon Week. This year, instead of just the usual "Say No to Drugs" campaign, they also focused on living a healthy lifestyle. For example, Wednesday was "Healthy Snack Day".

On Monday, the students were told that after running 20 laps around the soccer field during recesses, they would receive a medal on Friday. But not just any medal. Oh no! This one would be gold that would hang from a red, white & blue lanyard, to be placed around the neck.

Colin was thrilled! He ran those 20 laps, with bronchitis mind you, all by Tuesday. And just for good measure, he ran more laps the rest of the week at his recesses.

We heard a about this medal throughout the week. Little snippets here & there. "Do you think my name will be on it?" "I wonder how heavy it will be?" "Do you think it will be real gold?"

Friday morning came & with it a stomach ache. Being the concerned parent that I am, I asked if there was anything upsetting him, something he might need to tell me. His reply, "No, but there is something really exciting about today. Today I get my medal!" DUH! How in the world could I have forgotten?

Fast forward 7 1/2 hours...the bus pulls up in front of the house. The kids get off. Colin, shoulders a little slumped, comes dragging in behind Emily. (A bit peculiar seeing that he usually comes sprinting from the bus to the house, charging in the front door.)

"Colin, tell me about your medal", I say so innocently. He looks me straight in the eyes & says, "It's PLASTIC!" and let's out an unmistakable, disappointed sigh.

1 comment:

mammabaltic said...

Oh, that is too funny. My kids are wearing them like they are gold!! Just getting to know your kids over the years I can totally 'hear' Collin saying that!! Have a good weekend!