Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The Face of Hospitality

This is my friend, Amy These are her kiddos:

It would be very easy for Amy to say that she is a very busy mom & go on her merry way. But, that is not who Amy is. I have never met anyone who is more giving of her time (babysitting for me on numerous occasions) or resources (eggs, strawberries, desserts...) or anyone who is more hospitable. In fact, it is as if hospitality oozes from her pores. :)

Today, I was the recipient of her hospitality. It did not matter to her that the plaster living room walls of their farmhouse had been torn down, replaced with drywall & sanded just a couple of days before. Nor did it matter that she had at least 10 other kids at her house. She still invited the girls & me (along with two other moms) over for lunch. Then, instead of busily hurrying around, she sat & visited. What a gift.

I met Amy on Emily's first day of Kindergarten. While Emily & Amy's daughter, Megan, were becoming fast & best friends that day, Amy & I met for the first time at a parents' reception, where we also became fast friends. That was one of the best days I have ever had. I am so grateful that I have Amy as a friend, not because of what she does for me, but because of who she is & what she models to me every time I'm around her. I think I want to be her when I grow up. Just kidding! But I do want to become more like her...cheerful, kind, available, generous, hospitable.

Amy exemplifies Romans 12:13: Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

1 comment:

The Bean's said...

I can't even think of a good enough comment to compliant this post! Well said!!